There was was about two hours of down time. People used this time to chill out and get ready. Brett played the "Radioactive Man" episode of The Simpsons, which he feels is "the most realistic depiction of filmmaking ever." At one point I went into the green room, where the cast was trying to figure out why Diane Keaton always wears gloves. Before this moment, I was not aware that Diane Keaton always wears gloves. I reasoned that it must be because she's a germaphobe. Julia agreed. Cheryl also posited the theory that she's trying to hide her age, because a lot of older women's age is revealed by their elderly hands. I feel like both these theories must be correct. I then Googled it and found a page that said Diane Keaton explained on Oprah that she always wears gloves because she likes to wear gloves and she finds them comfortable. Which is obviously a pile of horseshit. Julia and Cheryl then volunteered to help me with my online dating profile.
When we were all set with lighting, we brought all the actors in and did a "rehearsal," which is when they say all the lines as if the scene is really happening, but it's just for practice so they'll remember the lines for later when we're really taping the movie. Brett then had them improvise a bunch of general dinner stuff for the head of the scene. He was so deliriously happy with their casual dinner improvs that he just wanted to blow his brains out. Eventually, we started moving on to a little bit of the scripted part, then broke for lunch.
For lunch we had Counter. At first we thought we might've broken our streak of restaurants omitting one person's order, and it turns out we kinda did, because this time they omitted two people's order. Their veg burgers and fries are good though. They just omit people's orders sometimes when you order for a lot of people. Then we said goodbye to Mike, who was only able to 1st AD the LA portion of the shoot. For Maryland, we have a new 1st AD. I'm not interested. I only want Mike to 1st AD in Maryland. When Mike left, Addison took over as our second 1st AD, and then when Addison left, I took over as our third 1st AD. I didn't do a stellar job, but I was still grieving for the loss of Mike, so it's okay. The new guy will be our fourth 1st AD. This will be the Brett movie with the most 1st ADs. It'll be tough to break that record with the next movie, but I'm sure we can do it.
We then shot 39 with a fuckton of coverage. We had so many camera setups that we even looped the alphabet on the slate. We ended on 39AB. The completion of this scene wrapped a number of people from production, as well as the city of Los Angeles. But now we have to do the Maryland hunk. I look forward to the Maryland hunk. It will feel like a different movie. But I don't look forward to our vampire schedule. Readers of the Waterhole Cove Movie Blog will remember that our vampire schedule made us a little crazy. But maybe that's exactly what this movie needs.
Here's the scene 39 cast photo, taken on my iPhone 3GS while Brett calls for Reid to come in and take it with a better camera:
Here's Reid taking the scene 39 cast photo on a camera that's negligibly different from the iPhone 3GS:
This is Brett's third movie. I've been trying to come up with a name for it as a trilogy, the way Baz Luhrmann has the "Red Curtain Trilogy," or Edgar Wright has the "Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy." So far the movies of the untitled Brett trilogy are The Comedian at The Friday, Waterhole Cove, and The Perfect 46. Gotta come up with a thematic element that unites these three pictures. Don't have anything yet, but my goal is to figure this out before production's end.
See you in Maryland.





No comments:
Post a Comment