Thursday, May 16, 2013

I feel like Jesse would have edible plates.

So last Friday, I attended a meeting at Brett's house, which was like the first physical event that I attended for the purposes of making The Perfect 46; a film that, sorry, is in no way related to The Magnificent Seven.  At this meeting, Brett just wanted to have an open discussion about the upcoming shoot and whatever issues we might want to address before the movie train left the station.  Brett discussed logistics of certain scenes with Marco, and set design issues with Ayaka.  Sheldon whispered to me about this amazing thing Ayaka was doing with a pen she was holding.  She was like twirling it really cool, like without thinking about it.  And while all of this was happening, Keston read magazines on a nearby couch as Pirates of Silicon Valley played on the tv.


Eventually the discussion turned to the color scheme of the dinner scene at Jesse's house.  Marco explained what kind of colors he wanted for that scene, and asked about placemats.  After a long back-and-forth about existing placemats in Brett's house, I think we landed on Ayaka getting new placemats that would look better against the wood.  I suggested the movie only use a color scheme of secondary colors, which Brett considered and said was very interesting.  Later, talk turned to another scene.  I think the big conference scene.  At one point, Sheldon turns to me and goes, "Diego, magenta, right?"  I had no idea what he was talking about, but I completely agreed, so Sheldon turned to Marco and said, "Marco, magenta."  Marco said, for about the third time that night, "No!  No reds!"  I felt bad that I accidentally suggested possibly having a magenta curtain at a serious genomics conference.  But this is how movies come together.  Every movie you've ever seen has been borne of conversations just like this.


Oh, and other stuff happened in the days before this meeting.  I guess it all started when Brett wrote the script some months ago.  Then he made an online presence for it, for which he had me make a poster.  Every time Brett makes a movie, he thinks of a poster concept, sketches me a mockup, and I do it on Photoshop.  This is the third one.  I also made different versions of the poster for stuff like the indiegogo page and the promotional stickers for the movie.  Also, last month Brett asked me if I wanted to help find some locations for the movie that they still didn't have, or if I wouldn't have time.  I told him I wouldn't have time, but then last week, he had me do it anyway.  We needed a hotel hallway for the hotel hallway scene.  I called a bunch of different hotels and asked them if we could shoot a dialogue scene in a hallway of guest rooms.  Most of them were willing, but asked for too much money, the logic being that we should basically be renting all the rooms in the hallway so no guests are disturbed.  Which makes sense, I guess, because most hotels are designed to primarily be hospitable residences for guests moreso than locations for make-pretends.  One hotel in particular, however, was extremely eager to have us shoot there.  They too were very expensive because it's a fucking nice hotel, but Sheldon negotiated a price that worked for our budget.  Also a lot of other stuff happened for the movie, like casting or whatever, but I wasn't there for that.


Tomorrow is Day 1 of shooting.  Actually, it's Day 3.  They've been shooting stuff for two days already, without my involvement.  I don't know what they've shot so far, and frankly I don't really care.  I'm gonna help with the stuff I'm there to see, and the other shit that happened before me, as far as I'm concerned, can go right in the garbage where it belongs.  Of course, I stayed up way too late preparing my production binder and this blog, but that's okay.  I think the right headspace for me to approach this project is "surly exhausted."

No comments:

Post a Comment