Thursday, May 23, 2013

I'll be here again with the news tomorrow at 6, unless you wake up dead!

Yesterday was Wednesday.  It was not a production day, but a travel day.  I kicked it off by going to the Glendale Galleria Target for travel stuff.  I Zyrtecked up and also looked for sleep stuff for the plane.  They didn't have sleep masks.  I considered going double eyepatch, but figured that would be too uncomfortable, plus unwittingly insensitive to eyepatched-Americans.  I also looked for sleeping pills.  I've never taken one before.  Julia had recommended Ambien, but they didn't have it, so I went ZzzQuil.  I don't like to be awake during flights.  They're quite uncomfortable.  Usually whenever I fly, it's a 5-hour waking nightmare of trying and failing to sleep in an upright sitting position with no head support.  My dream flying scenario is the thing from Luc Besson's The Fifth Element (1997), where you go into a horizontal cubby and the flight attendant pushes a button that instantly knocks you unconscious.  Your spacecraft then goes into warp drive or whatever and you travel the stars, asleep.

I then met with my friend Courtney.  Courtney was one of my best friends in high school and we haven't seen each other for approximately nine years.  She was in town to do something with Punky Brewster and I only had a couple hours before I had to go to the airport, so I suggested we meet at Pinkberry.  The same Pinkberry where I was when she called me two years ago to complain that I wasn't at our 10-year high school reunion.  It was a fun chat, but my Pinkberry cone started to melt because I was talking more than usual, and I dripped it everywhere like a 6-year-old.  I think adults making a huge mess when they eat desserts is funny, but in this case it was just awkward.

I then arrived at Brett's, where Brett and Sheldon were watching Prophets of Science Fiction.  Sheldon was there to take Brett, Wey, and I to the airport, where we would meet up with Marco and Andy and all get on the same flight.  We had a butt ton of luggage because we were taking film equipment.  I only brought my laptop and a carry-on bag.  I hardly packed anything except clothes, but I overpacked with clothes because the most important thing is fashion.



At the airport, our dinner options were extremely limited, so I went for Burger King.  And they were all out of their veg burger, so I went for the Premium Alaskan Fish sandwich meal.  It was okay.  Then came time for me to take the sleeping pill.  Technically, you're supposed to only take this when you have the next eight hours of your schedule cleared, and it can fuck you up if you try to get up before then.  The flight was five hours or less, so now I wasn't sure.  Marco said if I took it, I wouldn't even realize I was falling asleep.  I would just wake up after it wore off.  I thought this sounded pretty cool, but I ultimately decided not to take the pill.  Especially because I needed to start getting on that vampire shooting schedule.  Before boarding, Brett stuck my laptop in one of his carry-ons and had me carry on a piece of film equipment called a high hat.  Every Virgin America employee I passed asked me what it was.  I said it was some kind of camera thing.  They thought it was a Christmas tree base.  Which is understandable.



When we sat down, we discussed all the different things you can do from your in-seat touchscreen.  This gave way to my second romantic comedy premise idea of the production (see Day 6).  I could have a neat little pile of specs when this is all over.


In order to stay awake during the flight, I purchased in-flight wi-fi for 12 thousand dollars.  I also watched TV.  Dana Carvey was on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon.  I asked Brett how he felt about the upcoming thing of Fallon getting Tonight and Meyers getting Late Night.  Brett observed that if you host Weekend Update and you're a woman, you get a sitcom, and if you host Weekend Update and you're a man, you get a talk show.  I agreed, but felt they went in the wrong direction with it.  They should've given those shows to Colin Quinn and Norm Macdonald.  I then watched The Daily Show, The Colbert Report, and two episodes of Workaholics.  At around that point, I fell unconscious despite myself, and was trapped in a torture limbo of "sleep eyes" and "pain neck."  Finally, I forced myself awake and realized there was nothing good on TV anymore.  I made a huge playlist of music and only got through Billy Joel and Brad Paisley before we landed.




I'd forgotten what late night Comedy Central commercials were like.  It was all phone sex hotlines and Stephen Dorff monologuing about Blu electronic cigarettes.  This campaign is perfect, because not only does it make cigarette smokers want to switch to BluCigs, it also makes non-smokers want to take up BluCigs.



When we got off at Dulles, the fellas all went to collect the checked baggage while Brett and I waited a few minutes for the Dulles Chipotle to open.  Brett used to schedule entire flights around having breakfast at this Chipotle because they used to have breakfast burritos, but not anymore.  When Brett reminisces about Dulles Chipotle breakfast burritos, I see what true love looks like.



After we all had a quick breakfast standing by the baggage claim, John (real life John, not WC1 John) picked us up in a big shuttle van and we drove for some hours to Waterhole Cove.  Our search for decent early morning radio yielded a station where a psychotic man was insensitively radio deejay voicing the shit out of terrible news of people being victimized.  This became a fun character that only Brett and I were laughing at.  Everyone else was like blehh.  But whatever.  I'm sure they wouldn't have laughed at the character we invented in the Dulles-to-Waterhole Cove ride back in 2010 either, and that character was Jack Nicholson leaving voice mails for his shitty carnival co-owner who is a rabbi.  It makes perfect sense when you hear it.



We stopped at the Easton Target and grabbed a few quick things.  In a section of $5 dvd's, they had The Brady Bunch Movie (1995).  This is one of my favorite movies.  It doesn't have a single special feature on it.  But I may still buy it.  I don't know.  They also had A Very Brady Sequel (1996), but I don't know if I would buy that.  I don't remember if it was good or not.  They also had Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (1995).  This is definitely worth owning, but I feel like it only makes sense to buy it in a two-pack with Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie (1997).  I never see that.  Man... I don't know.  But I did buy a handful of old trading card packs that were marked down to 99 cents.  I'd like to talk to Brett about designing a set of Perfect 46 trading cards once he's locked picture.  Something to consider.


We then finally got to Waterhole Cove.  Unlike WC1, this movie will shoot entirely at the Harry house and zero at the Dolly house.  Most everyone will stay at the Dolly house, but I grabbed a room at the Harry house (a room we're not using).  I slept there for an amount of hours I can't remember now.  Then I woke up and watched Brett explain where we'd be shooting to Nick, Marco, and Sharon.  Then Brett went for a bike ride while I sat in the back porch and wrote out this blog, on the rocking thingie where Dolly did stuff in WC1.  Waterhole Cove is gorgeous right now with breezy, almost-rain weather.  As I write this, Wey is sitting next to me reading the Perfect 46 script for the first time, being wowed by the twists and turns.  At one point Phoebe asked him to hold her iPad and we chatted about how we didn't have iPads when we were kids, nor do we even have them now.  But hey, we had things that kids today will never have.  Like the Super Size option at McDonald's.  If a kid wants to pig out at McDonald's today, they have to order two meals.  So, it's like a trade-off.



It's so confusing that in Comedian, Chris played Gary and Keston played Harry; then in WC1, Chris played Harry; and now in P46, Keston plays Chris.  Does Brett only know like five names?

No comments:

Post a Comment