Saturday, June 1, 2013

Dream of Bullock.

Tuesday was Day 13.  Second-to-last shooting day.  I woke up at 2am and walked to Dolly house.  Whenever I walk back to Harry house at night, it's kinda super scary because I'm walking through pitch black woods, and I don't turn on the lights outside the house because I don't want to beacon moths.  So I'll walk into the forever unlocked house with my iPhone 3GS screen as my limited flashlight, which is a total invitation for a pig mask Jigsaw to come and get me.  But as of today, that has still not yet happened.

When I got to Dolly house, the Reese's Chips Ahoys and birthday cake Oreos purchased hours earlier were almost gone.  Anne put Sheldon in charge of breakfast.  When Sheldon asked Brett what he should make, Brett told him, "I would say just make a big thing of eggs and a shit ton of bacon."  I don't eat those things, but I decided this one time to make an egg-ception, which Brett said was an egg-cellent idea.  I had Scrambled Eggs and Toast Sheldon.

A few hours later, Sheldon drove Keston and Kevin to the airport.  And just as quickly as they home invaded our lives, they were gone.

Then it came time to shoot.  First I went into the library, which is a special room because it was the first location we shot for WC1.  For P46, the library has become a dedicated editing suite where Reid and Sharon are working nonstop while we're over at Harry house shooting.  Brett and Sharon selected takes for the videotape that was then made for that day's shoot of Jesse watching the videotape.  I was wearing a Kelly Kapowski shirt.  Brett asked who it was.  Sharon looked at it and said, "Is that the schoolgirl... ringin the bell...?"


The first shot of the day was the bicycle shot, which we got by having Andy drive the giant van slowly down the road, Whit riding the bicycle next to the van, Marco shooting from the open van door, Brett holding the door open with his leg, Wey making sure Marco didn't fall out, and me sitting in the back doing nothing.  All the shots on this day looked extra cool because it was overcast.  Thanks Maryland.



Then we shot Jesse cooking an egg.  This took less time than it took to shoot Dolly with the grilled cheese in WC1.  Then I think Nick ate the egg.

We discussed Saved By The Bell, because I was wearing a Kelly Kapowski shirt.  I confessed that growing up, I was very much a Jessie Spano man because she was tall and smart and a little bit fucked up, and I was into that.  Kelly was simpler, in both good and bad ways.  Today, however, Tiffani Thiessen is the go-to because she's more buxom and also Elizabeth Berkely is, like, nowhere.  I also shared my theory that Woody Allen was a Saved By The Bell fan because he did two movies in a row with Bell girls-- The Curse of the Jade Scorpion (2001) and Hollywood Ending (2002).  At the very least, we can say the man went through a phase.

Then we hopped around Harry house shooting little thingies.  One of them was the Jesse side of a phone convo, the Steve audio side of which we'd shot nine days earlier in a back room at the Perfect 46 office location.  It feels more like 500 years ago.  During this shoot, I asked everyone how realistic they thought it was in ID4 (1996) when they're launching their last ditch retaliatory strike against the overwhelming alien armada and the President of the United States is allowed to fly a fighter jet in the aerial battle.  We quickly concluded that circumstances made it permissible, given how short they were on pilots.  I also asked how okay it is that Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio ripped off The Count of Monte Cristo for the entire plot of The Mask of Zorro (1998) and then again for a little bit in Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest (2006).  Opinions were all over the map on this one.

After this scene, some people went to the Dolly kitchen and brought back some cookies and snacks.  I love cookies and ate some from a sampler pack.  Sampler packs are just a way for them to get rid of the crappy cookies that don't have chocolate.  Who wants those?  Oh, nobody.

Okay, my notes for this part of the day just say "window."  That's it.  What window?  We didn't do anything with a window.  What a stupid note.  Waste of time.

After we shot Jesse watching Doc, I started to feel awful.  Allergies were killing me, even though I'd Zyrtecked up, and I was ass tired despite having achieved eight hours of sleep right before call time.  I guess it doesn't matter if you do things, because then logic doesn't happen and you suffer the penalties of not having done those things even though you did them.  Fuck everybody.

Meal was pasta and green beans.  It was good.  Whit mentioned hearing great word of mouth for Steven Soderbergh's Behind the Candelabra (2013).  I said I really looked forward to Michael Douglas as Liberace, and that his greatest role as yet remains A Perfect Murder (1998).  Whit said he loved David Fincher's The Game (1997).  I agreed that that was good too.  I also gave a shoutout to Joel Schumacher's Falling Down (1993).  This led to a scenario where I had to go to IMDb to prove to everyone that Joel Schumacher had made good films, and not just the bad ones they were lazily aware of.  The mention of Schumacher's A Time to Kill (1996) sidetracked when Wey declared that he didn't care for Sandra Bullock.  I jumped to her IMDb to defend her talent by just saying the titles of her great movies.  Brett came in on the tailend of this and said something like, "What is he just naming Sandra Bullock movies?"

The discovery at the end of this story is that you could teach a science class using only principles from Sandra Bullock's filmography.  Gravity.  The Heat.  Forces of Nature.  Speed.  Practical Magic.




After meal, we spent a hunk of time trying to figure out how to make the universal RCA remote control work on the Panasonic VCR that we needed for the scene.  I was Googling the answer when Marco found the manual and just did it with that.  Whit regaled us with disconcerting movie rumors, such as how they are remaking The Breakfast Club, and how Will Smith and Jaden Smith are going to remake Back to the Future.  I don't know where he's getting this 1985 movie remake news, but I don't think it's happening anytime soon.  Although we did have lots of fun casting the roles for the new BTTF.  Obviously you'd have Jaden as Marty McFly going back to the 1980's and meeting his Urkelesque father George, played by Will Smith.  The band at the dance could be an all-white rap group.  You could go a number of ways with Biff.  Jamie Foxx.  Tommy "Tiny" Lister.  Terry Crews.  But where do you go with Doc Brown?  Martin Lawrence?  Chris Rock?  Eddie Murphy?  And where do you put Don Cheadle?  Principal Strickland is Keith David.

At this point, there was a discussion about Steve Jobs or something, but I was passing out and sneezing, so it was hard to pay attention.  Brett said how Steve Jobs found out he had cancer and put off surgery for a year while he tried holistic treatments instead because he didn't like anything going into his body.  I compared that to how Apple products are designed to never be opened or tampered with.  Anyway, by the time he did get surgery, it was too late.  The cancer spread and he died a stupid death to an otherwise incredible life.  We shot some bathroom stuff and wrapped for the day in early afternoon.  I immediately went to sleep.  My only escape from painful waking reality.  More stuff happened later on Tuesday, but I have to find a stopping point somewhere, so this blog ends with a TO BE CONTINUED.

No comments:

Post a Comment